Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Favorite Meal: Celery Root and Potato Soup with Mint

I'd like to start a regular column that allows me to reflect on the week that's passed and identify the best meal I consumed within that particular seven-day period. I'll make it clear right from the start (today, right now) that I truly doubt that I'll do a good job of actually following through week after week on a regular basis, but I want you to know that my intentions are very much there and my desire very strong. And I'm doing it all for very selfish reasons.

I'm a compulsively competitive woman. Prime example: eBay. Once I start cruising and bidding on items (mostly, it's sets of wood type to further my letterpress obsession and, ultimately, drive me closer to financial ruin--wood type, as it turns out, is in high demand and does not, at the end of the auction, end up cheap), it's over. I don't care about the dollars involved. I must win the item. I must beat out all other bidders. I must come in first place, even if first place means I'm out several hundred dollars for a collection of 106 one-inch letters.

The seemingly innocuous idea for a weekly favorite food column is actually, I think, a distinct by-product of that same competitive spirit. If I commit to commenting on my favorite meal every week, then I'll constantly be in pursuit of my personal best in tastiness. Every meal will have to be better than the one before; every meal should be an equal contender for first place. And if I broaden my definition of "meal" to include anything that I consume--coffee, snacks, and libations included--well, then, I'll be eating phenomenally all week long.

So I'll end up a very well-fed, very competitive woman. See why this is a selfish idea?

I meant to start this column last week after having some amazing meatballs--some were beef and lamb together; some were turkey-only; all were delicious, especially when served simultaneously in a fold of crusty sourdough bread with homemade tomato sauce--made by my friend Celeste the Thursday prior. But I didn't get my act together to post about it in time for a weekly retrospective on Sunday.

With my act only slightly more together this week, I want to talk about the celery root and potato soup I made last night.

I didn't realize until later that night that I had made the perfect meal for the first day of spring. I love the flavor of celery, and its good friend and close cousin celeriac. It's a flavor that I don't exclusively assign to one season--you can make a hearty and comforting celeriac and potato mash during the cold months, or you can whip it up with a few bright veggies to make something refreshing for warmer days, which we've had a few of here in the Bay Area lately. Celery always tastes appropriate. Its earthiness, and the smooth consistency celeriac, specifically, brings to a dish, never goes out of season (except for when it's literally out of season--technically, celeriac is a spring-through-fall veggie, but it can keep for up to four months).

Our CSA box this week included a bunch of fresh mint. I immediately thought it would make a great complement to celery (to be honest, I didn't have any other great ideas for it, and it was quickly starting to wilt in the fridge) and built a recipe from there. I added carrots to bring a sweetness to the soup and paprika to give it a bit of spice. I served it with a splash of fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a dollop of sour cream. I personally think the sour cream escalated the dish to divine yumminess, but I have a serious affinity for the stuff to begin with, so I may be biased. I encourage you to try it anyway.

I've made celeriac soups before, and they always look unappetizing (think grainy baby food). The carrot and bits of chopped herbs didn't help this time. This recipe may be something you only want to serve if your guests are close friends.

Celery Root and Potato Soup with Mint
Serves 4

IMAG0199

Celeriac/celery root (1 medium-sized bulb)
1 large carrot
1 medium potato
3-4 green onions, chopped
1-2 stalks of green garlic, chopped (or use 1 clove of chopped fresh garlic)
4 c water
4 c chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
Splash of tamari or soy sauce
1/2 c fresh mint leaves
1/4 c fresh parsley
2 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Serve with:
Fresh lemon juice
Dollop of sour cream
Crusty bread

In a large pot, warm the water, broth, tamari, onion, and garlic over high heat. Peel the celeriac. (Note: I prefer not to peel potatoes and carrots when I add them to a stock--I find the flavor is much richer when I leave the well-washed skins on, but that's my preference. However, peeling the otherwise-hairy celery root is a must.) Cut the root vegetables into quarters and add to the liquid. Boil for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Remove from heat. Save the broth.

Using a food processor, chop the vegetables, mint, and parsley until smooth; add the broth as you need to in order to keep a more soup-like consistency. Transfer soup to a serving bowl and stir in the paprika, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

alma wad said...

I must try it ! I was just thinking about how to include the celery into our meals ... and also because I like paprika !

Unknown said...

Oh man, this sounds delicious, I bet it's great cold, too... I'm wondering what could give it a better color... Perhaps parsnips instead of carrots... You'd still get that sweet, rooty flavor but without the gorgeous orange which probably is what muddied the green of the celery... Maybe a little green leaf mixed in, but something mild... collards perhaps?

I can't wait to try it. ;)

P.S... I don't care how often you blog as long as you keep writing. I get so inspired to cook when you post something new.