Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Marriage of Oatmeal and Cream

I'm probably not the only person in the world who counts heavy whipping cream as one of her guilty pleasures. There are a lot of delicious recipes out there that call for a tiny, tiny bit of heavy cream. I'll gladly buy a half pint of it, use the half tablespoon the recipe calls for, then easily rationalize using it in anything I possibly can.

There it is, a mostly unused half pint of heavy whipping cream, just sitting on the top shelf of the refrigerator. I swear it's seducing me with wanton eyes from its perfectly conspicuous spot next to the can of this morning's cat food.

I can't let it go to waste!

Do you know how good coffee tastes with heavy cream instead of 2% milk or even half-and-half? Oh, god.

Here's another great example: A warm bowl of steel-cut oatmeal. A teaspoon of brown sugar, all melty and crumbly on top. Wrapped in a moat of heavy cream.

No comments: